Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The uneducated needs your advice in here.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:19 pm 
stranger in an orange land

Hello. I'm somewhat of a casual acquaintance with someone that has some issues with under eating and denial. Frankly I know very little about this, but I know my friend is under a healthy weight, using an unhealthy diet and appears to be actively digging herself deeper into some sort of problem.

I'd like to talk with her about it and try to help out, but not only do I not know her that well, but I don't really know more than a few google searches about this topic. I haven't got a clue how to bring it up or what to say. I do have one thing going for me. She has chosen a strict vegetarian diet and I am a loose... something (I think it's called opportunistic vegan or something). Anyway I think we have some common ground about what sorts of things are good to eat.

As far as I can figure she's living off of cakes and sweets are the side effects are just starting to kick in. However I don't "officially" know this. I was told by her friend and I have to pretend that I have no information about her diet.

I'll be happy to accept any reading materiel or personal stories (as friend/family and also as someone with experience or even those that just happen to read more than me) you would like to direct me to. Ideally I'd just like some advice or even better both. I enjoy reading and learning new things, but that takes time. I want to bring this up and get things out in the open before anything else. Unless that's not smart?

Thanks a ton for any help and please bare with me and keep in mind that I don't really have a place to relate from, at least not that I know of, and I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to learn.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The uneducated needs your advice in here.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:30 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Noseyfriend, explore the Family and Friends forum that this post is located in, and there are lots of articles and personal stories of "do's" and "don't". The most important factor for anyone with any mental illness is to have friends who are willing to sit in the silence, without judgment, and just be there. You can express your concern, but in a non-combative way. Use "I" words, like "I am feeling a bit worried about you. I have noticed that you... I want you to know that I will be here for you and that I am ready for you to tell me what your needs are, if you want to.

Remember, you are not part of the treatment team, and the hardest experience for me has been waiting for my partner to finally realise that he is my loved one, my family support, not a member of my team who has any role in policing me and my recovery.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The uneducated needs your advice in here.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:45 am 
stranger in an orange land

Maybe an eating disorder treatment would help you to understand better. I had undergone an eating disorder treatment program in Edmonton a few days back. Drinking more water can help to prevent binge eating. Some food gives you a kind of pleasure which leads to addiction. Notice how foods make you feel. No one can actually help you unless you decide to halt after taking the food required to satiate your hunger.

Offline Profile