Last visit was: It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Self-Compassion and website link
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:34 pm 
galactic orange
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm
Posts: 948
Location: Vancouver, BC
During a recent inpatient stay, one of the topics brought up was that of self-compassion. Apparently this is something being explored by researchers.

"UPDATE: Low Self-Compassion
and Eating Disorders

Researchers in British Columbia are exploring the possibility that healthy self-compassion can play a helpful role among people with eating disorders. Dr. Josie Geller and her colleagues at the University of British Columbia and St. Paul's Hospital, Vancouver, reported at the recent International Conference on Eating Disorders meeting in Austin, TX, that 80% of participants in the researchers' ongoing study have low self-compassion, and the remaining 20% have scored in the moderate range. As the researchers suspected, global and subscale self-compassion scores (derived from the Self-Compassion Scale and other measures of disordered psychological health, along with demographic information) strongly and significantly correlated with eating disorder symptoms such as drive for thinness and body dissatisfaction. The preliminary results also could be correlated with other intrapersonal characteristics, including perfectionism, impulse regulation, maturity fears, and introspective awareness. Dr. Geller told the audience that these preliminary findings support the role that low self-compassion may play in the development and maintenance of shape and weight concerns, as well as disordered eating and maladaptive coping. Thus far, 70 patients have been enrolled in the study."

I am therefore posting a link to a website that defines self-compassion and its components. This site also contains exercises and self-compassion meditations that you can do. (Please note: the body scan meditation may be triggering so if you are struggling you may want to skip this one or leave it for a later time.)

Website: Self-Compassion - A Healthier Way of Relating to Yourself

“When you have come to the edge Of all light that you know And are about to drop off into the darkness Of the unknown, Faith is knowing One of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or You will be taught to fly”

Offline Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ]  Moderator: post-mods

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created & kodeki