Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: CakeSpy: Of Eating Disorders and Food Blogs
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:59 pm 
Orange Admin

CakeSpy is a dessert blog run by Jessie Oleson Moore, a writer, illustrator and cake enthusiast who also happens to have a history of eating disorders. I found this post really interesting and thought it was worth sharing. Here's a snippet and a link to the full article :)

Of Eating Disorders and Food Blogs

Quote:
One day, finding myself yearning for a life beyond my refrigerator magnet company job, I had a sit-down with myself that went something like this: "well, in an ideal world what would you want to do?".

There was no hesitation. In my ideal life, I would do something that involved writing, illustration, and baked goods.

After further self consultation to figure out the perfect name, CakeSpy was born. Since I didn't know exactly how to get something rolling that would include writing, illustration, and baked goods, I decided to start a blog while I figured it all out.

On the day I started my blog, I weighed about the same as your average 11 year old girl. Little did I know, this blog would actually save my life.

Someone wiser than me once said "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer". I never thought of my blog in that way, but it really was.

At first in my blogging days, I would get scared frequently. Trays of brownies had the potential to panic me, I felt I had to revolve an entire day's meal plan around indulging in a slice of cake. In the beginning, it was only on a very strong day that I was able to eat and enjoy one of my own baked goods without giving myself a major guilt trip afterward. But I kept on doing it.

The more I worked with food, the less scary it became. It would take time to trust food; in the beginning, I was content to at least fear it less.

For me, it it was cathartic to work with food so openly, intimately, and in such a tactile way: to touch it, smell it, be in its presence. To inhale the aroma of butter creaming with sugar. To see cakes rise in the oven. To roll pie dough. To knead bread. Understanding the process of how things were made gave me an appreciation, and little by little, trust grew.

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: CakeSpy: Of Eating Disorders and Food Blogs
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:59 am 
Demi Mod

Awesome! Her illustrations are sooo cute.

Offline Profile