Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Alcohol Could Get Nutritional Labels Soon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:51 am 
power lies within

Quote:
Wine, beer and spirits manufacturers may soon have to disclose calorie content and other nutritional information on bottles and cans. But for now, such labeling remains optional.

The U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, which is part of the Treasury Department, proposed a labeling rule in 2007 that would require alcoholic beverage manufacturers to include calories, carbohydrates, fat and protein content on their labels, but it has yet to make a decision on whether to implement the rule. It announced last week that manufacturers could add this information if they wanted to.

"What's interesting to me is that the reason why beverage companies want it and consumers want it is totally different," said Sara Bleich, a health policy professor at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. "It's an example of two groups having different goals while having a sweet spot that seems to work for both."

Low-calorie beer manufacturers are hoping the labels will target people trying to lose weight, believing that's a way to boost sales, she said, adding that studies find that middle-income white women were most likely to pay attention to the labels.

And consumers want more information to make educated choices.

Even though many consumers don't understand food labels, the 15 percent or 20 percent of those who do can significantly lower their weight, Bleich said. This ultimately could lower obesity and have a positive impact on health care costs.

"I think more calories come from alcohol than people think," said dietitian Jessica Bennett, who works at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

[CALORIE CONTENTS REMOVED]

Still, Bennett said she wasn't sure how new labels would affect alcohol consumption.

Consumers are at the mercy of their bartenders and waiters when they drink at restaurants and bars, because the bartender or waiter can give them a larger serving size, she said. Mixers, such as soda and juices can add calories, too.

"I definitely think it's going to be interesting to see how it goes," Bennett said.
Via ABC - TRIGGER WARNING - LINK CONTAINS CALORIE CONTENTS

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Alcohol Could Get Nutritional Labels Soon
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Damn! I've had that one on my radar for DAYS and just been too lazy to post it.

Wonder if you can beat me to my next one? You have all day to try, 'cause I'ma hanging out with my sis 'til late afternoon.

Oh, and, this is so stupid. Does anyone really think that other than drinking more "lite" beer (it's spelled "light", people!), which many people already do, that nutrition information is really going to influence choice of drink? I can see it now: "Oh, wait! Which vodka has more Vitamin C in it? I want to be healthy, y'know?"

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:12 pm 
orange goddess

Hmmm, they already do it in Australia. But they also list how many standard drinks are in the container, which is useful information.

Do they have those horrible low calorie mixed drinks over there?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:52 pm 
orange you prolific

nomnivore wrote:
Hmmm, they already do it in Australia. But they also list how many standard drinks are in the container, which is useful information.

Do they have those horrible low calorie mixed drinks over there?

They do here. I think the brand name is Skinny Girl too.....yeeech. I haven't tried them (I just stick with my friend Jose Cuervo for my margarita mix or make my own with lime juice and agave nectar!
) but I'd be willing to bet they are pretty bad, low calorie substitutes tend to be pretty nasty in my experience.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:03 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I've never looked at the pre-mixed drinks. I occasionally have a good traditional martini, but I'm pretty much a Prosecco drinker (and a two-flute wonder, at that). I know it's alcohol. I know it has calories but that most of those calories pass through the body undigested as the body is poorly equipped to metabolise alcohol. For that reason I do not even try to count or include the calories in my daily intake. It's a drink. I enjoy it very occasionally and I don't expect it to add any nutrients to my body.

Now chocolate - that's a different matter. Every. day. without. fail. And no, I don't know and don't care what the calories are; good chocolate has reams of positive health impacts and are part of a balanced emotional diet for me. Rumballs. Chocolate and alcohol. I'm all over it.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:52 pm 
power lies within

I've tried Skinny Girl (they served it at the premier of the Sex and The City movie, hah). There's nothing "low-calorie" about it; it's basically vodka in Crystal Lite. You can just buy regular vodka and put it in Crystal Lite and have a really watery, artificial tasting cocktail for a fraction of the price. I'm still waiting on Fat Bitch Margarita Mixers to hit the shelves ;)

As Spender said, I don't drink alcohol for its nutritional value, and I suspect that anyone who is drinking enough alcohol to have a significant impact on their weight probably has more of an alcohol abuse problem than a dietary problem.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:58 am 
orange is a state of mind

I obviously don't drink enough. It never occurred to me that alcohol didn't have nutritional data on it. I guess I figured everything meant for ingestion had to have ingredients listed. Meication has active/inactive ingredients, and foodstuffs have nutrition labels. I honestly don't see why they shouldn't. Maybe don't treat it the same as food, but there's going to be a difference between something with one gram of sugar and something with 20 grams of sugar, and I think that consumers should have that information available. I'm conflicted on the whole issue of government regulation though. Hmmm. I never thought of this as an issue.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:04 pm 
orange you prolific

I don't drink for the nutritional value either. Margaritas, especially a birthday margarita, are simply for the satisfaction of my taste buds...as is everything on my birthday. I make a point to eat whatever I like most of the time but more so on my birthday. Having restaurant discounts on that day helps a lot with that!

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:50 pm 
power lies within

Kate the great wrote:
I obviously don't drink enough. It never occurred to me that alcohol didn't have nutritional data on it. I guess I figured everything meant for ingestion had to have ingredients listed. Meication has active/inactive ingredients, and foodstuffs have nutrition labels. I honestly don't see why they shouldn't. Maybe don't treat it the same as food, but there's going to be a difference between something with one gram of sugar and something with 20 grams of sugar, and I think that consumers should have that information available. I'm conflicted on the whole issue of government regulation though. Hmmm. I never thought of this as an issue.

Alcohol, across the board, has the same amount of calories per gram (a shot of 40% abv vodka is going to have the same amount of calories as a shot of 40% abv rum). The nutritional labeling would really only be useful for beers and premixed drinks, which can contain additional ingredients which would alter the nutrition info.

Like most restaurant nutritional info, it would be totally useless in a real-world application, where each drink is prepared individually, and, for example the bartender might use more or less grenadine than was calculated on for the nutritional info, just as chef may use more or less of a specific ingredient.

Where I come from, the word "Lite" is used to describe beers which have a lower abv than the standard 6%. It would be odd to see it used to describe watery, low-cal "diet" beer.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:20 am 
feeling out the orange

I know this is somewhat old, but on tv, the commercials for beer in Canada say that they have "2.6 carbs" without explaining what a "carb" is in this instance. If you look at the fine printing, it is 2.6g of carbohydrate, which is about half a teaspoon of sugar. Really?? wtf You're worried about less sugar than is in a sugar packet for coffee. Stupid. :yawn:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:34 pm 
power lies within

Mich wrote:
I know this is somewhat old, but on tv, the commercials for beer in Canada say that they have "2.6 carbs" without explaining what a "carb" is in this instance. If you look at the fine printing, it is 2.6g of carbohydrate, which is about half a teaspoon of sugar. Really?? wtf You're worried about less sugar than is in a sugar packet for coffee. Stupid. :yawn:

What a carb is in this instance? Carbs always = carbohydrate. I'm not sure about what your point is, but I can say that in the depths of my eating disorder, I have been greatly concerned over the amount of sugar in a coffee packet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:10 pm 
feeling out the orange

Well the commercials don't explain if they mean grammes, servings, teaspoons, or what. I know dieters and ED'ers (and those of us who have been trying to recover) see the sugar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:45 am 
power lies within

That's pretty bizarre. What beer is that commercial for?

I would have to assume they mean grams, as that's how carbohydrates are measured.

Offline Profile