Last visit was: It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mashable on 'thinspiration'
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:23 pm 
Orange Admin

I'm sharing this partly because it's a great article, but mostly because it includes quotes from the wonderful We Bite Back founder Sharon! The writer also spoke to Rachel of Team Recovery, who's a fantastic role model for anyone with an eating disorder. So good to see two fantastic ladies in the same article.

It's very long so I won't quote it, but here's the link and a couple of choice points:

'Thinspiration' Packages Eating Disorders as a Lifestyle Choice

Quote:
“You have to view the Internet as a neutral tool that can be used either for positive or negative purposes,” says Sharon Hodgson, who founded one of the earliest pro-recovery forums, We Bite Back.

Hodgson says banning websites is pointless and misguided; it misses what these sites, feeds and Pinterest boards really amount to. “It’s not a website, it’s not a hashtag. It’s a community,” she says. “You’ll have people finding each other through the hashtags just as they’ve used many other mechanisms to do so in the last two decades.”

Quote:
Hodgson explains that in the same way pro-ana sites had helped her become a “good anorexic,” she could set up an online community that would help her recover.

She stayed up all week building We Bite Back. As a web developer, she knew the tricks of the trade and targeted key search terms, such as “thinspiration,” “pro-ana recipes,” “how do I lose 10 pounds” and “pro-anorexia,” so her pro-recovery site could cut through the mass of pro-ana disorder results.

The response was overwhelmingly positive. “I had all these people follow me, from 80 countries from around the world,” she says.

They kept the buddy system model throughout the recovery process. “Instead of saying, ‘Did you manage to stay under 500 cal?’ it would be like, 'So did you eat three meals today?'” says Hodgson. “We'd be continuously putting ideas in front of each other to make things better for ourselves.”

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Mashable on 'thinspiration'
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:44 pm 
power lies within

This is great! Yay Sharon for giving an interview!

Offline Profile