Last visit was: It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What do you think?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:40 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
Exclusive Interview about Israel’s Newest Beauty Laws

By Mia Adler Ozair HNS Psychotherapist on February 28, 2013

In case you hadn’t heard, the country of Israel took an unprecedented step and is the first country world-wide to actually make it illegal to hire models who are too thin and to alter images without stating the image has been changed. As a therapist and someone who supports the HNS vision, I found this to be quite remarkable and wanted to learn more. I reached out across the world to Israel to request an interview with Mr. Danny Danon, Government Official and Knesset Member who co-sponsored this effort and was the driving force behind making it a reality. Much to my delight and surprise I was granted the interview and wish to share it with you here!

What are the major elements of the new laws in Israel governing use of models and images in the media?

Quote:
The main elements of the law are:
** Models who have a body mass index (BMI) of less than 18.5 may not be shown in the media or on Israeli websites or go down the catwalk at fashion shows.
** The law makes violations a criminal offense bearing a fine and violators can be sued in court by interested citizen.
** Any advertisement that uses Photoshop or other graphics programs as if the model has a BMI under 18.5 has to be labeled with the warning that the image was distorted.

What was your role in getting these laws passed and what prompted your interest in getting involved to sponsor these laws?

Quote:
I was one of the bill’s co-sponsors together with former Member of Knesset Rachel Adatto who is also a physician. I think we were both inspired by the story of a young model that died from complications related to anorexia. As a father of young girls I don’t want them to grow up thinking that such unrealistic images that we see in commercials and on the fashion runway are realistic or healthy.

What has the national reaction been to the passing of these new laws from models and/or media and/or the public? Has there been any international reaction?

Quote:
Overall I have been thanked by countless parents. They realize what terrible messages our young women – and men – have been receiving over the years and the countless lives that were ruined by them. That being said, I can tell you that senior individuals and companies within the fashion industry were not happy with this law. While this is understandable from a mere economic point of view, they will have to understand that this law is here to stay and their industry will have to adjust accordingly. Fashion is not more important than human lives.

What impact do you hope and anticipate these new laws will have on Israel’s youth?

Quote:
I want them to understand that here is no need to try to mimic unhealthy habits and lifestyles that our popular culture often promotes. I hope that our young generation will internalize the important messages of this bill and love themselves for who they are. I think that once the law goes into affect, and has a few years to be internalized we will see a drop in these terrible eating disorders that too often prey on young people.

Is there anything else you feel is important to share that I have not asked? If so, please do.

Quote:
Israel is universally known as the “Start Up Nation” because of the amazing new technologies that are developed here and used around the world. I hope that this law is quickly replicated around the world. Young lives are at stake and I truly believe this law can make a real difference in saving them around the world.

Thank you so much to Mr. Danny Danon and for the country of Israel for taking such an amazing step to protect young people and for taking such a strong stand on the fact that the images we see do in fact impact our mental and physical health and wellness. I personally thank you, Mr. Danon, for taking the time to share your story with me so that we can all learn from you!

Healthy is the New Skinny

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile