Last visit was: It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: In Psychiatry, Medicine Makes the Money
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:22 am 
stranger in an orange land

This is so awful. Insurance companies are so horrible with mental health... insurance complications are what's stopping me getting help for my ED, and they may even stop me from moving back to the US (currently living in the UK, born in the USA) when I'm older. And so many people avoid treatment for ANY issue because they think they're just gonna be drugged up, and a lot of them ARE just drugged up, no questions asked...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: In Psychiatry, Medicine Makes the Money
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:18 am 
orange is hot

I actually see a holistic psychiatrist. She's covered by my MEdicare. SHe doesn't just push medications on people. She's about getting to the root cause of why I struggle. She's really challenged me. I am on more vitamins and supplements and natural type stuff then I am medication. I do take something for ADHD. I had tried to get off of ADHD Medicine but it affected my heart rate so Icouldn't go off of it.

Have you ever looked into HOlistc psychiatry. There are doctor's that do that are covered by insurance.

On a side note.. I'm an American who wishes I was in the UK. I have family in London, Sussex, and Oxford and several other areas. I long to be over there so much. It be cool to switch places with someone ...

My holistic psychistrist did genetic testing around my symptoms found medications that couldwork. She's not really about medications. She tested for MTHFR then checked vitamin B and Folate levels those contribute to depression.

I've also had low dose Zinc that can cause mood swings if your zinc is low. I will tell you that nutritional deficiences can cause mental health symptoms this is one of biggest things I have learned from my psychiatrist. I did something called Spectricelle testing. I don't know it's available where you are but it measures all kinds of vitamins levels, amino acids, minerals. great test to see what your lacking. What you can use.

My point is that not all Psychiatrry is about medication. It's just a matter of finding the right doctor maybe someone who has holistic or intergrative health approach to things.

Offline Profile